Monday 24 January 2011

Font Choice - Album Cover

Now that I know I am working with the Rock/ Alternative genre, I need to choose which font I want to associate with my band. Using a font search engine I have selected 5 fonts that I think represent this genre well.

The fonts below are entitled:
1. Evanescent
2. Fairydust
3. Diablo
4. Akvaleir
5. Clarisse~


Although the first font represents the genre extremely well, is eye catching and memorable, it is currently associated with another popular band, so using it could backfire and remind my target audience of a band other than the one I am representing.
The second font is very gothic and represents the genre I am aiming for incredibly well. It is also very eye catching and I will consider using this font in my final piece.
I have ruled out font number 3 as I feel it is too difficult to read to be used commercially. If a member of my target audience cannot read the font instantly, they may move on before considering it, especially on shop shelf.
I have also decided against font 4 as I believe it is too plain to represent my artist. I require a font that is extremely eye catching so it will stand out from any competition on a shop shelf. I do not think this font will achieve this.
I have decided to consider font 5 for my final product as it is eye catching, bold, gothic and holds aspects of the emo/ alternative genre that are perfect for the artist me and my group discussed.

1 comment:

  1. How do fonts actually convey meaning- associations and letter shapes.

    ReplyDelete