Monday 24 January 2011

The use of Album Artwork

Album art is a unique chance for musicians to express their artistic abilities and beliefs further. Album art in the past has been: iconic, revolutionary, controversial and is used as a main selling point on the shop stand. In theory, a consumer is far more likely to pick up a CD case if they are attracted to the front cover. So it needs to be eye catching. Some artists like to send a message in the art, but most use it to convey how they view themselves as artists.

From an album cover, you should be able to identify several things about the artist. What genre they are, what sub-genre if they have one. What kind of attitudes the artist holds, what time-period and target audience do they fall under?

Using a series of codes and conventions associated with my artist, I will create an album cover that is eye catching and represents my artist and their genre to a professional extent.

For instance the genre I am currently looking into is Rock/ Gothic. Conventions of this would be dark colours, with occasional red streaks. I could either include an image of the band, or a popular image seen within the gothic world, like a rose, skull or spider web.

I should remember to include the Artist name/ Logo on the front, back and spine. I should remember to incorporate the single name on the front and include pricing/ track listing on the back. I should also create some kind of logo for the music company that will be representing my artist (ELJAF Productions).

No comments:

Post a Comment