Thursday 7 April 2011

Conventions of music video within the Gothic genre-

As we have chosen what can be classified as a gothic band to use in our music video, when filming there are several codes and conventions we have to apply to make sure we suit the genre. How would the band members dress? What would the narrative contain? What lighting would be used? I'll go into detail on each of these points below.

Costume-
Common colour schemes within the gothic genre include Black/ White with taints of red. I've applied this in creation of my album artwork, but in order to maintain this during the music video, everyone involved will need to be wearing dark articles of clothing. The song itself is called 'Bring Me To Life', so I could talk to my group and possibly incorporate the rare use of one bright colour amongst the gothic colour scheme to be associated with life. Below is an image of the band Evanescence, their costume is dark and excentric, something I should do my best to immitate when setting up costume for band images/ music video.



Narrative Content-
In order to stick by the gothic conventions, the narrative must be something dark and maybe in some ways even disturbing. The original music video for bring me to life - LINK HERE - involves the lead singer climbing out of her bedroom window following the sound of music, whilst singing the words to the song. Here they actually involve the performance side of the video with the narrative, perhaps something me and my group could consider doing?
If not, the narrative could include the lead singer enduring some kind of emotional burden and how she deals with it. No doubt this is something me and the group will sit down and discuss.

Lighting-
Earlier I spoke about colour scheme and dresscode, whilst I could go for an entirely black and white video, in the modern day music video world this is eomthing you don't see often and I don't plan on bringing back. So the lighting must remain dark and eerie. As the weather is unfortunately impossible to control, using effects such as colour correction and brightness adjustment on the clips we film. Playing with the saturation will also allow us to bring out the darker colours and give the lighter colours a 'creepy' effect, giving the video exactly what kind of look we like.
However it is important to make sure the brightness settings we use in each clip are consistent or the video will look unproffessional.

No comments:

Post a Comment